Re: Debian install On Indy + Indigo and Java Station

> Does setmon give any ideas which graphics modes at which refresh rates
> the different adaptors support under IRIX? I don't have any Irix nor any
> header files of it, so anything of help to teach the newport driver
> different graphics modes will be greatly appreciated.
>  -- Guido

Here are some cryptic notes from the manpage. I think all XXHz modes refer to
1280x1024.

--- BEGIN EXCERPT ---

XS, XZ, Elan, and Extreme Graphics:
support the standard names 30HZ, 50HZ, 60HZ, 72HZ, NTSC, PAL, IRIS3K, STR_RECT,
STR_BOT, STR_TOP and 343. Also, format may be the name (minus the '.vfo'
extension) of one of the video format files which reside in
/usr/gfx/ucode/GR2/vof.

Entry/Starter Graphics:
supports 60HZ.

XL Graphics (Indy or Indigo2):
supports the standard names 50HZ, 60HZ, 70HZ, 72HZ, 76HZ, NTSC, PAL, IRIS3K,
STR_RECT, STR_BOT, and STR_TOP. Video format files reside in
/usr/gfx/ucode/NG1/vof.

CRM Graphics:
supports the standard names 50HZ, 60HZ, 72HZ, 70HZ, 75HZ, STR_RECT, STR_BOT,
and STR_TOP. Also allowed is the name (minus the '.vfo' extension) of one of
the video format files which reside in /usr/gfx/ucode/CRM/vof.
The following letters at the end of a format name signify:
p   format is for a Flat-Panel Display.
s   format is for stereo.

IMPACT Graphics:
supports the standard names 50HZ, 60HZ, 72HZ, 76HZ, STR_RECT, STR_BOT, and
STR_TOP. Also, format may be the name of one of the video format files (minus
the '.vfo' extension). These files reside in the directory
/usr/gfx/ucode/MGRAS/vof for Indigo2 High Impact and Solid Impact and OCTANE SI
and SSI systems. Systems with one RE.) The directory is
/usr/gfx/ucode/MGRAS/vof/2RSS for Indigo2 Maximum Impact and OCTANE MXI
systems, which have two RE's.
The following letters at the end of a format name signify:
p     format is for a Flat-Panel Display.
s     format is for stereo.
_32db allows deep (32-bit) double-buffered visuals, but with no Z.
_pbuf allows programs to allocate pbuffers in the Z bitplane of the
framebuffer.

RealityEngine and InfiniteReality Graphics:
support the standard names 60HZ 30HZ, NTSC, PAL, 343, HDTV, VGA, 72HZ,
STR_RECT, STR_BOT, and STR_TOP. In addition, format may be the name of one of
the video format files, which are named according to the convention:
For example, 1280x1024_60 implies a video format that is 1280 pixels wide, 1024
pixels high and runs at 60 Hz. Letters added at the end of a format name
signify special options:
i for interlaced,
s for stereo,
q for field sequential,
f for framelocking, and
k for special alternate formats respectively.
For RealityEngine, the video format files reside in the directory
/usr/gfx/ucode/RE/dg2/vof. For InfiniteReality, the video format files reside
in /usr/gfx/ucode/KONA/dg4/vfo. Those directories contain a README file which
describes the formats shipped with a release.

[blah blah... more about InfiniteReality which none of us can afford anyways]

The NTSC and PAL video formats are actually the 525 and 625 line component RGB
formats, and are not the composite video formats that these names imply.

[...]

On systems that support custom video output formats, a user-defined format may
be selected by placing the file containing the VOF into the appropriate
/usr/gfx/ucode/vof subdirectory. A given user0defined format may then be
selected by specifying the file name as the format argument.

[Too bad that the format of these files is not described.]

-- END EXCERPT ---

The files in /usr/gfx/ucode which describe the video formats are in some binary
format and I haven't been able to find any documentation on this format. :(

I'm sure there are better sources of information on this subject.

- Michael

=====
MIPS: 64-bit since 1992
DEC Alpha: 64-bit since 1992