Re: XFree86 problems on an Indy

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:

>  	o With the prebuilt kernel (from ftp.rfc822.org) over time (a day or
> 	  so) and heavy load (a kernel build) I get masive filesystem
> 	  corruption, so I am going diskless for now (it seams that the new
> 	  kernel from cvs also has problems with this).
> 	  In case this helps, this happend on the second scsi disk of a single
> 	  controler, kernel output:

This is our well known "Multiple Disk Problem" (It's the official name).
If you use more than one Disk per controller actively (= have it mounted
and copy files between the disks) very bad things will happen.
Don't do that - you should do what I do at the moment: Mount the root
over NFS and mount __one__ harddisk and use that.

> 	o I am getting strange console behavior with my home built kernel from
> 	  latest sgi cvs (mostly sure this is my fault).
>
> 	    I don't get any output from the boot scripts, the last message I
> 	    see on the little blue square is: Freeing unused kernel memory:...
> 	    And the next thing I see is a login prompt and the top left
> 	    corner. Is console output going somewhere else? Should I change
> 	    /dev/console?

This sounds odd and should not happen. Can you check if your /dev/console
is looking like this:

root@ivy:/mnt/build# ls /dev/console -l
crw-------    1 root     tty        5,   1 Jun 16  2001 /dev/console

> 	o OSLoadOptions just rembers the first 12 chars of its contents when
> 	  rebooting, but SystemPartition remembers 35 without problem. I know
> 	  that this is probably the know issue, but how can I give the kernel
> 	  parameters if they don't feet?
> 	  Maybe I could unset some variables to free some memory or use
> 	  OSLoadPartition to pass some parameters.

Hmm, my guess would be, that this is a Problem with the PROM itself.
Maybe you should take a look at dvhtool ...

> 	o I compiled the kernel with the cross devel rpm packages at sgi, is
> 	  that ok or what gcc/binutils should I use? Is it ok to build the
> 	  kernel with gcc-2.95.4 natively?

Yes, this works ok - at least for me. The only problem is that
with current cvs kernel the nfs root seems to be fscked somehow.
You need to give the option ip=bootp or ip=dhcp at bootup to enable
bootp or dhcp - but it doesn't work then either.
Please tell me if you see this too if you try current cvs.

		Bye, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network