Re: XFree86 problems on an Indy

 Thanks a lot for your helpful advice, olivo.usal.es is now happily running
 Debian GNU/Linux and XFree86 with a home built kernel.

 Well, I still have some problems :(

 Please keep in mind that olivo is at university (20min walk) and I can't
 test thinks as I write.

 	o With the prebuilt kernel (from ftp.rfc822.org) over time (a day or
	  so) and heavy load (a kernel build) I get masive filesystem
	  corruption, so I am going diskless for now (it seams that the new
	  kernel from cvs also has problems with this).
	  In case this helps, this happend on the second scsi disk of a single
	  controler, kernel output:

	SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
	wd33c93-0: chip=WD33c93B/13 no_sync=0xff no_dma=0 debug_flags=0x00
		setup_args=,,,,,,,,,
		Version 1.25 - 09/Jul/1997, Compiled Jun 15 2001 at 22:04:01
	scsi0 : SGI WD93
	 sending SDTR 010301440csync_xfer=3c Vendor: FUJITSU   Model: M2932S-512
	 Rev: 0110
	  Type:   Direct-Access				 ANSI SCSI revision: 02
	 sending SDTR 0103013f0csync_xfer=2c Vendor: SGI    Model: IBMDSAS-3540
	 Rev: S47K
	  Type:   Direct-Access				 ANSI SCSI revision: 02

	o I am getting strange console behavior with my home built kernel from
	  latest sgi cvs (mostly sure this is my fault).

	    I don't get any output from the boot scripts, the last message I
	    see on the little blue square is: Freeing unused kernel memory:...
	    And the next thing I see is a login prompt and the top left
	    corner. Is console output going somewhere else? Should I change
	    /dev/console?

	o OSLoadOptions just rembers the first 12 chars of its contents when
	  rebooting, but SystemPartition remembers 35 without problem. I know
	  that this is probably the know issue, but how can I give the kernel
	  parameters if they don't feet?
	  Maybe I could unset some variables to free some memory or use
	  OSLoadPartition to pass some parameters.

	o I compiled the kernel with the cross devel rpm packages at sgi, is
	  that ok or what gcc/binutils should I use? Is it ok to build the
	  kernel with gcc-2.95.4 natively?

 Thanks for a great job

 	Manuel

--