Re: Hands for the mipsel port / bootstrapping

Hi Florian,

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> I fear that you wont get the Debian-Mipsel stuff to work with a 2.0 kernel.
> The 2.0 port is completely discontinued and the 2.2/2.4 ports to mips and
> mipsel are completely independent ports from scratch. There are people
> working on a 2.4 kernel for the Cube and Raq but i havent heard anything
> lately.

Yes, it was an interesting experience to see 'FATAL: kernel too old' when
trying to run bash. :)  My next step is to boot the machine to 2.2
(2.4?) so I can continue with configuring the chroot'ed system.

> The whole mips/mipsel issue has a lot of work to do especially on packages
> for installation like kernel-package, boot-floppies, bootloader etc.
> There are a couple of completely different archs so there wont probably be
> ONE installation disk set.

Understandable.  I suppose that if I want an install flavor for the Cobalt, I
should expect to have to pitch in? :)

> Cross-compiling is ok for kernel and probably the first toolchain. Not much
> else. You will have a lot of hassle with autoconf stuff and its not worth
> the effort. Try setting up a chroot environment on your cacheraq and
> put the mipsel packages into it and try to chroot to it. If this works
> you should be able to go on and compile stuff. Alternatively i can offer
> access to mips and mipsel machines on the net.

Are your mips/mipsel machines faster at compiling than ours is?  I admit that
I'm very impatient when waiting for compiles, having been spoiled by fast
x86 and alpha systems.  I'm sure that if it's as much hassle as you say, I'll
soon give up and learn to tolerate the slow builds, but I'm still going to try
cross-building if only for my own purposes.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer