Re: Hello,

Jason wrote:
>     I have an R5000 machine sitting here not doing much at the moment.
> I would be happy to set it up and also give shell accounts on it to
> others working on the mips project.  I love debian and would do whatever
> I could.  I am on a T1 connection so bandwidth to the box shouldn't be
> an issue.  Please let me know if you are interested.  I'm not a
> programmer by far so I don't know how much I could do to help besides
> beta test and offer shells to users etc that are working on the project.

According to http://web.inter.nl.net/users/schnecke/mips/mips-howto-3.html
your machine loks supported:

  R4000 and R5000 family

   Linux supports many of the members of the R4000 family. Currently
   these are R4000PC, R4400PC, R4300, R4600, R4700, R5000, R5230,
   R5260. Many others are probably working as well.

The first thing you would have to do is to install some variant of
Linux on the machine.  We're currently building a Debian base system.
Until this is done you can start with the binaries provided by SGI.
You'll find a bunch of links at
http://kuolema.infodrom.north.de/cgi-bin/linx/lookup?keywords=mips
A detailed description of the installation is included ("Booting"
and "satu").

Regards,

	Joey