Re: Some packages (finally)

Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> I think the convention is:
>
> 	mips = big endian
> 	mipsel = little endian

That's what I got as well.

> These packages I've built are for big endian MIPS machines.  Maybe I should have

If you've gotton a big endian MIPS machine and want the port to be
continued, be warned that you will have to do most of the compiles
and uploads on your own (beware your phone bill), unless you find
a way to hook your machine to the net permanently (at a friendly
provider or something).

On the other hand this means that we will need binary-mipsel *and*
binary-mips at the same time.

> compiled for both mips and mipsel, so that we can get two ports.  It wouldn't be

We will need both (or even three *sigh*) ports anyway.  We've got
two mipsel boxes that have a permanent net connection but no big
endian machine that's hooked to the net permanently.

> much problem to build mipsel at the same time as I build mips, I'd just have to
> type dpkg-buildpackage one more time.  I have to compile new set of glibc, egcs
> and binutils first though.  It would be pointless to have one person working on
> mips and one person on mipsel.  We would probably have to make the same changes,
> thus duplicating work.

If both sort of machines exist and for both sets people are interested
in a port, then there will be two ports.

However, using a cross compiler is good for the first step but for
the port to continue it has to be compiled on the native architecture.

Regards,

	Joey