Re: Looking for sponsor with update for Debian package

Replying from my phone.

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, 14:46 Loren M. Lang, <lorenl@north-winds.org> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:12:41PM +0100, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> think a subject line with a specific ticket number, package name and -- in the
> particular case -- the acronym RFS would ease to follow up the progress of
> your work.  Ideally it were the template reaching level 4 / Find a sponsor[1]
> offers.

Thank you for your feedback. While I am a long-time Debian user and
built packages for personal use, this is my first attempt to contribute
back so am still learning the process. I will work on filing a proper
RFS bug report with the template as documented on the Mentors Wiki.

> Inferring from your message filed by Sun, 21 Jan 2024 02:29:20 -0800 your work
> relates to rpm[2] with its RFA[3] (and hence, an existing ticket) I fetched a
> fork by
>
> ```
> git clone http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git
> ```
>
> File `/debian/changelog` for your new version 4.18.2+dfsg-1 does not
> explicitly mention to close (including the corresponding ticket numbers, and
> a `closes: #NNNNNNN`) one of the bugs currently (15:10 UTC +1) listed on
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src="">.  If
> your work addressed them, may you amend accordingly the changelog file?

Yes, I will upload the changelog. So the standard procedure it to
normally file a bug report first so the changelog can be updated to
reflect it and then the source package can be generated for upload?

I'm not sure what you mean by the above, but the Request for Sponsorship (RFS) bug will not be closed in the changelog, because you create it after you've finalised and uploaded your updated package.

I think Norwid Behrnd is expressing that your upload fixes existing bug[s], so you should close the applicable one[s] from the changelog.  This will require a triage of the existing bugs.

It may also be worthwhile to CC people listed in Uploaders if you don't receive a reply in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't plan to move the Git hosting from Salsa. My branches are based
on the latest tip from the repo on Salsa and my goal is that that are
just merged into that repo.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this in principle, and it does celebrate how git is decentralised 🙂  That said, it imposes additional demands on your sponsor (and/or tram member[s]).  Long-term, how will this work in practice?  Rather than depend on someone to manually pull from non-Debian infrastructure, why not just register for a Salsa account of your own, and then push directly?

Best,
Nicholas