Re: Creating packages for several distributions

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 01:48:39PM +0100, Robin Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in charge of creating debian packages for the Opendigitalradio mmbtools
> (https://www.opendigitalradio.org/mmbtools) and as such, I:
>   - am proposing/pushing debian packages to unstable
>   - manage the Opendigitalradio debian repository
> (http://debian.opendigitalradio.org)
>
> If I want to create a package (ex: odr-audioenc) for both unstable and
> bullseye on both debian and odr repository, can I have 1 debian/changelog
> file only where the first line would read:
> odr-audioenc (3.3.1-1+deb11u1) unstable bullseye; urgency=medium
>
> or do I need 2 versions of debian/changelog (thus 2 branches:
> debian/bullseye + debian/latest): one for each distribution (unstable and
> bullseye)?
For different distributions you should use different changelog entries,
different version numbers and sometimes/often (depending on the package)
you may have other differences. And even if you use the same changelog
entry (as technically you can have anything in your 3rd-party repo) you
still need to build it separately for every distribution you are
targeting.
I also wouldn't use the same versions for official unstable packages and
3rd-party packages targeting unstable.