Re: help with python3 depends < 3.11

Thanks very much for the response.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 10:47 AM Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 04:20:35PM +0100, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> > I have been trying to make an update to my package "siconos".
> > However, in the Salsa build, which nicely runs all tests, it fails on
> > "piuparts".
>
> > I am confused, because it fails with the following error:
> >
> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > > python3-siconos : Depends: python3 (< 3.11) but 3.11.1-1 is to be installed
> >
> > However, debian/control uses ${python3:Depends} and does not mention
> > version 3.11 anywhere, so I cannot understand where it's getting this
> > "< 3.11" constraint from.
>
> The package was build for 3.10 only.  Then, python3 defaults got changed,
> and now packages are supposed to build 3.11 instead.
>
> Thus, all packages have been rebuilt.  But alas:
>     https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=siconos
> is quite red.  You'd need to investigate why it fails to build, and upload a
> fix.

Yes, that is why I am working on it.  I do have a fix ready, but I am
waiting to upload it because it fails on the Salsa piuparts test.

To be clear, Salsa is rebuilding the package, and giving this error
while testing the build.  After inspecting the logs a bit longer, I
realized that what is happening is that piuparts is installing the old
version of the package while testing, and I do not know why.

Basically piuparts tries to install the binary packages one by one of
the new version, 4.4.0+dfsg-2, and it seems that during this process
apt is trying to install the old packages 4.0.0+dfsg-1.  These of
course contain constraints on packages that are no longer available in
unstable and so it fails.

I thought it could be because I had not yet marked it for unstable (it
was UNRELEASED), so I ran "dch -r".  This changed the error message,
but it simply fails for a different binary package now.  (Bullet
instead of Python.)

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/siconos/-/jobs/3810484

If that's the case, I feel like I can just ignore this and when it's
uploaded the problem will fix itself.  Does this mean that it's just a
problem with how piuparts works, or how Salsa is configured for it?
If so I will try to find how to report it.

thanks,
Steve