Re: How to troubleshoot conffile files problems

On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 12:57:37PM -0500, pkgoyq.xpt@neverbox.com wrote:

> > > I still don't quite understand what you actually mean,
> > I just mean the original bug report already had a suggestion that seems
> > correct to me.
>
> Can you give me a simple example package showing how it should be done please?
>
> It is not that I didn't try my best but the case is I've already tried
> my best to guess what the above means but it seems I guessed wrong
> each time. Thus I need detailed help, those few words only get me
> going around the circles.
Sorry, I'm not going to make an upload a package for this.
Here are the instructions I meant and I don't know what can be clearer
than that short of an actual debdiff:

"""
I see the postrm has

    /etc/dnsmasq.d/dbab.*

which I take it would have to be dbab-map.*
"""

> OK, let's start from the beginning:
>
> > > How to properly handle conffile files in such a case?
>
> > You should remove them manually in postrm, but only on
> > purge.
>
> That's actually what I've been doing, removing them manually in postrm
> and on purge --
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dbab/-/commit/0acfe617f064c5907f999707e37be12c7b9f8328
But #958900 was about files that were not affected by that.

> But I was told to "using rm_conffile directive from .maintscript file"
This is wrong. rm_conffile is only for cases when a conffile is no longer
shipped. This is explained in dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). But
/etc/dnsmasq.d/dbab.*, or /etc/dnsmasq.d/dbab, or
/etc/dnsmasq.d/dbab-map.*, are not even conffiles, as far as I can see (as
they are not shipped in the package, as far as I can see).

> So I did, see --
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dbab/-/commit/eca5bf35dc20843907b3eb0078a7926117bdf0e8
Yup, this is wrong. And /etc/dbab is a dir, so that line is doubly wrong.

> and that's what I did, instead removing them manually in postrm with
> `rm`, I used
> `dpkg-maintscript-helper rm_conffile` instead.
>
> And now I'm at
>
> W: maintainer-script-should-not-use-dpkg-maintscript-helper
>
> I.e., I've gone through a full circle.
That's not even a circle, these are multiple separate problems, some of
them unrelated.

--
WBR, wRAR