Re: location of arch-dependent python module

On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 09:58 +0000, Kasper Peeters wrote:

> I can of course use a Debian-specific toolset to do the installation,
> but that doesn't really solve my problem because it still leaves the
> same issues on other platforms. So at the moment my CMakeLists.txt
> contains a couple of ugly call-outs to python to get the site path and
> SO ABI, but at least it works everywhere.

I was talking about the upstream build system, since that is usually
what controls where Python modules are installed, not the Debian side
of the packaging process. CMake is not the usual choice of upstream
build system for Python modules so it isn't surprising it might not do
things the same as more common options like poetry or setuptools, but
there are are some Python things using CMake, so it is quite surprising
that it does completely the wrong thing.

It looks like this is the solution that you were referring to:

https://github.com/kpeeters/cadabra2/commit/189a587c37771def45ef7ad1f373f5081a075fe1

I don't know enough about Python/CMake to say whether this is correct
or not, the debian-python mailing list would be the place to ask.

BTW: it looks like there are tools in pybind11 for CMake:

https://pybind11.readthedocs.io/en/stable/cmake/
https://github.com/safijari/pybind11-cmake
https://cmake-python-distributions.readthedocs.io/

BTW: python -c is a security issue if run from an untrusted directory.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise