Using d/copyright to exclude a directory EXCEPT certain files

Hi mentors,

I'm not the best with Perl and although I've looked through the source code of mk-origtargz [1] I can't figure out how (if) it is possible to do what I'm trying to accomplish.

I think we're all familiar with the mk-origtargz function where one can specify "Files-Excluded:" from the source tarball for various reasons. Excluding a single file or a directory is trivial. Excluding a pattern of files (e.g. *.jar) is just as easy. However, I can't figure out how to exclude *all* of the files in a directory *except* for one or two that are needed.

Use case example: Upstream for Package A includes source/binaries for Package B which is already packaged in Debian. The maintainer wants to exclude Package B files from the processed tarball. However, upstream also includes a configuration file or two required for Package A in a directory containing several dozen Package B files. It would be much simpler to be able to tell mk-origtargz to exclude the whole directory but leave the one or two files that are needed. Otherwise, the maintainer would need to add several dozen lines into the "Files-Excluded:" section which is more work and more chance of making a mistake.

So, is this currently possible? If not, is this something that's worth filing a feature request bug for?

Thanks in advance!

-Olek

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/devscripts/-/blob/master/lib/Devscripts/MkOrigtargz.pm