Re: Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 13:05 -0500, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> The old version number was for a "native package" - with no trailing
> dash and Debian package revision. When you added your suffix of -1,
> that implied a non-native package for which there should be an orig
> tarball and a Debian diff tarball.
>
> Use + (to increase vs. version without) or ~ (to decrease vs. version
> without) as the delimiter for your version suffix, instead of -.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Ryan
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 12:49 PM Calum McConnell <
> calumlikesapplepie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, I was looking at repackaging Yannubuntu/boot-repair for Sid
> > because
> > when I first set up my debian dual-boot, I had to use to to
> > actually
> > dual boot.  I followed the instructions in the wiki for repackaging
> > PPA's, and added a new changelog entry (as well as changing the
> > package
> > to be a quilt instead of a native package: I tried both ways).  I
> > incremented the version to be 4ppa69-1 instead of 4ppa69, in case I
> > needed to make further changes.  However, when I tried to run
> > debuild,
> > I got the attached text file as the output.
> >
> > What is going on here? The upstream tarball clearly exists, but
> > debuild
> > doesnt see it?

Okay, thanks: but isn't my new package a non-native package? Yes, the
upstream happens to be a Debian redistribution: but there is an
"upstream source" and "upstream maintainer".  Should I even be
packaging this? If I do, am I the uploader/maintainer, or is the
original developer still the maintainer? They're doing all the work:
I'm just adding a few bits to make it ready for Debian.

(Sorry for the delay: I hit 'reply' instead of 'reply all')