debianization with files that change

I'm trying to debianize Frotz 2.50 and put the debian/ directory into the git repository. A complication is that the contents of a dist file differs from what you get from a git clone. This is what I get from dpkg-source -b ./

dpkg-source: info: using options from frotz-git/debian/source/options: --tar-ignore=public
dpkg-source: info: using source format '3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building frotz using existing ./frotz_2.50.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
 frotz-git/.gitlab-ci.yml
 frotz-git/Makefile
 frotz-git/public/index.html
 frotz-git/src/dos/bchash.h
dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source --commit
dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see /tmp/frotz_2.50-1.1.diff.B02OBO

My problems: 1) .gitlab-ci.yml handles the Frotz webpage https://davidgriffith.gitlab.io/frotz/, which lives in public/. By way of .gitattributes, that's automatically stripped out of the tarball when making a distribution source tarball. It should be ignored by dpkg-source too.

2) I can't seem to make dpkg-source ignore public/. I put 'tar-ignore = "public"' into debian/source/options and it doesn't seem to work because dpkg-source is still complaining about public/index.html.

3) When a dist tarball is made, hash and date information is put into Makefile and dos/bchash.h by way of export substitutions in .gitattributes. The object of this is to embed commit hashes and build times into the executable. How do I tell the debianization process that these changes are okay? I'd rather not have to do "made dist", open up the resulting tarball, and debianize there.

4) I would also like the debianization process to ignore src/dos/ as well because that contains MS-DOS specific code.

My working code for this is in the debian branch at https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org