Re: debianization with files that change

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 04:57:09AM +0000, David Griffith wrote:
> I'm trying to debianize Frotz 2.50 and put the debian/ directory into the
> git repository.  A complication is that the contents of a dist file differs
> from what you get from a git clone.
You need to decide whether your Debian orig tarball will correspond to the
published tarballs or to the contents of the upstream git tags.
It seems you want the former, in that case it will be easiest to keep the
packaging repo separate and not merge the upstream tags into it.
Another, more complicated, option is
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.upstream-git.html#gbp.import.upstream.git.tarball

> This is what I get from dpkg-source -b
> ./
>
> dpkg-source: info: using options from frotz-git/debian/source/options: --tar-ignore=public
> dpkg-source: info: using source format '3.0 (quilt)'
> dpkg-source: info: building frotz using existing ./frotz_2.50.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
> dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
>  frotz-git/.gitlab-ci.yml
>  frotz-git/Makefile
>  frotz-git/public/index.html
>  frotz-git/src/dos/bchash.h
> dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source --commit
> dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see
> /tmp/frotz_2.50-1.1.diff.B02OBO
Assuming ./frotz_2.50.orig.tar.gz is the published upstream tarball, this
is expected.

> 3)  When a dist tarball is made, hash and date information is put into
> Makefile and dos/bchash.h by way of export substitutions in .gitattributes.
> The object of this is to embed commit hashes and build times into the
> executable.  How do I tell the debianization process that these changes are
> okay?
You shouldn't.

> I'd rather not have to do "made dist", open up the resulting tarball,
> and debianize there.
No, you should use the published tarball instead.

--
WBR, wRAR