debhelper versions

Hi,

I am packaging a bunch of projects that are supposed to install on
Ubuntu/Debin/Raspian preferable on as old versions as possible.  I am
trying to make scripts that make the packages automatically with
pbuilder and I get a bit confused on how to handle the different
debhelper versions.

For example I have the dependency setting in the debian/control file. If
I want it to work for raspian jessie i need to set this to debhelper (>=
8) On buster it is (>= 11) and on Ubuntu there is other versions etc.

How do people handle this. Build manually for all platforms?

And should the compat file be 11 in all cases?

/Ake