Re: debhelper versions

On 2019-11-22 14:10 +0100, Ake Hedman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am packaging a bunch of projects that are supposed to install on
> Ubuntu/Debin/Raspian preferable on as old versions as possible.  I am
> trying to make scripts that make the packages automatically with
> pbuilder and I get a bit confused on how to handle the different
> debhelper versions.
>
> For example I have the dependency setting in the debian/control file. If
> I want it to work for raspian jessie i need to set this to debhelper (>=
> 8) On buster it is (>= 11) and on Ubuntu there is other versions etc.

Set both the dependency and the 'compat' file to the oldest one you
need (e.g. '8' for Raspian jessie in this case). That should continue
to work everywhere (until actually deprecated in debhelper). Ignore
Lintian if it grumbles and only move it up when you are no longer
supporting something that only has '8'.

> And should the compat file be 11 in all cases?

No, the compat file should match the dependency, and determines the
actual behaviour of debhelper in the packaging. i.e. that's the
important bit, and the control file dependency is just being set to
match.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/