Re: System freeze while compiling

On Sat, 2019-09-14 at 12:58 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:55:11AM +0200, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
Hello All,
I have a small Issue with Debian system freezing when compiling a SW the system
simply hangs and I need to cut powerTested on both Stretch and Buster. Same
issue, the compiler makes the system freeze
Is there a way to avoid this in order to understand what is the issue?

Yes please, make it possible to understand the issue.

Provide information how to reproduce it.
I'm using a proprietary compiler for compiling a large C file with several included files. The file used to compile fine when I invoque the compiler with -std=gnu99, but if I enable -std=c11 then system freezes.

I'll not be able to provide neither the source nor the compiler itself as it requires a license tied to the HW to run. However I can perform complex testing.

Actually I'm very surprised that a user space program (compiler) running on an
unprevileged account (non root) can kill the system as it happens.
Does anyone know how to sandbox the command so that It does not kill the system?

Good question. Make the question better by telling what the command is.
It might get you an answer how to sandbox it.
The command is kind of "cc -std=gnu11 -o file.o file.c".

Please CC me as not subscribed.

Done that. Please sent possible follow-ups to the mailinglist.

--
Cheers, Abou Al Montacir