Guidance with using system-installed dependency

Hello,

I am a newcomer for package maintaining. I'm currently working on packaging a program [1] that uses CMake and requires some build dependencies, in this case both cmake and gatb-core which has fortunately been already packaged as libgatbcore-dev. I have created a patch file that is "meant" to use the system-installed libgatbcore-dev instead of a submodule that comes with the project on github. The issue comes when I try building inside a pbuilder environment. The builder will complain with something like this:

    Feature record: CXX_FEATURE:0cxx_user_literals
    Feature record: CXX_FEATURE:0cxx_variable_templates
    Feature record: CXX_FEATURE:0cxx_variadic_macros
    Feature record: CXX_FEATURE:0cxx_variadic_templates
dh_auto_configure: cd obj-x86_64-linux-gnu && cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/etc -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LOCALSTATEDIR=/var -DCMAKE_EXPORT_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON -DCMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RUNSTATEDIR=/run "-GUnix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu .. returned exit code 1
make: *** [debian/rules:21: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
I: copying local configuration
E: Failed autobuilding of package

Even though I had verbosity set, the message still didn't make sense. I tried to copy out the project from my working (root) directory and try to "cmake ." it manually with the build dependencies installed on my system, and it seems like the reason was down to CMake complaining that "include could not find load file GatbCore". I'm not strong with CMake at all and any guidance would be much appreciated! Hopefully I covered any needed messages and reproducible steps as this is my first package and first message on a mailing list with a wide audience.

Thanks,
Shayan Doust

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/mindthegap