Re: Cleaning up after 'gbp buildpackage'

On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 09:12:05AM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> On 7/9/18 12:49 AM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 07:52:19PM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> >> The package builds just fine without intermediated cleaning, it is just
> >> gbp that complains about uncommitted changes to the source tree. That's
> >> why I think I'm missing something about the gbp workflow, as I think
> >> that systematically using --git-ignore-new is not the right thing.
> >
> > The gbp workflow implies you are not building in-tree.
>
> Thanks! That is what I was missing.
>
> Would it make sense to have this highlighted more prominently in the
> documentation of gbp? I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere. I can
> prepare a patch. Where would be a good place to add it?
>
> Why is building off-tree the recommended workflow?

I have this exact problem as well. I solved it for me by using a
build-area setup as I am used to it back from svn-buildpackage.

Can I have some explanation, what in-free and off-tree building means
and how that compares to the build-area feature?

Greetings
Marc