Cleaning up after 'gbp buildpackage'

Hello,

apparently I don't grok something about the git-buildpackage workflow.

After a successful package build done with 'gbp buildpackage' the
package directory is left in a state which requires to run 'debuild --
clean' before being able to build the package again.

I imagine that keeping the generated files around for inspection on a
failed build is a good thing, but I would like a way to instruct gbp to
clean up after a successful build. I haven't found it. Am I missing
something?

Thanks! Cheers,
Dan