Re: compiled binary file in source package

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
> Miroslav Kravec <kravec.miroslav@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> > https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies
>>
>> And, is there any official recommendation to get software (development
>> tools) rather packaged, and used as build dependency, than being
>> copied?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. I think you are asking about
> general-purpose, third-party-maintained development tools.
>
> If so: yes, the recommendation is that third-party-maintained software
> should not be bundled, but instead packaged for general use in a
> separate Debian package. That's what the document at the above URL is
> discussing; it includes a link to the relevant Debian Policy section.

Well, policy https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#convenience-copies-of-code
says, that a package should not include convenience copies of
software, for which there's already a package in Debian archive.

> If you mean something different, can you clarify?

I mean, whether Debian community officially encourages developers to
have their software packaged, if there's no technical need to include
their software as convenience copy.