installing GUI launchers and mimes

I'm observing how is transmission-gtk packaged and it seems that it's
not enough with including files as
./usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop
./usr/share/mime/packages/xxx.xml

but postinst script should run update-menus and update-mime (or
update-mime-database) if available.
It seems also that there are (or were) some need to write profiles as
/usr/share/menu/PackageName
/usr/lib/mime/packages/PackageName
(time ago the first was at /usr/lib/menu/) to be located by update-menus
program.

Packaging my program, how can I deal better with this, in most
compatible way as possible (with other distros and with old Debian
versions)?

[Note that I write my own postinst script]
--

I'm using this express-made address because personal addresses aren't