Re: Making a srouce package Bug - #859130 ITP: lina -- iso- Forth interpreter

Paul Wise schreef op 2017-06-29 15:55:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Albert van der Horst wrote:

I'm working on packaging lina and I'm stuck.
I do have a correct .deb but that seems not to be enough.

Yes, as I suggested in my last mail, you need a source package for Debian:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1485153702.23889.7.camel@debian.org

The biggest issue I listed in the upstream source was that you have
not published the source code for ssort, just the binary. While
looking at the binary I discovered that the source code for ssort was
a C++ file called ssort.cc that was not available.

Here we disagree. That should not be an issue, because
ssort.cc is not part of the source for lina.
It isn't even part of the system that generates it all: lina wina xina mina, standalone Forth's for harddisks, floppies, 16bit 32 bit 64 bit, you name it.
The github is for reference. The 5 files from the original message is
the upstream source package.
ssort.cc is merely one of the tools used.
The source of m4 that is equally essential to generating the
source isn't either. I appreciate the concern of Debianists that they cannot build a package because tools are missing. That situation is far off here.
As soon as I can wrap my head around it, the usage of ssort will be
replaced by a small Forth program, run by lina itself.
It really plays a minute role, think of it as an emacs script that I run
while I'm editing the documentation. You don't want that kind of thing
clutter up packages, do you?
If this keeps a source of confusion you, I will give top priority to making it into
a Forth script.

P.S.
ssort.cc is free software in its own right and it is published on my
website.

Now I realize that debian wants to build itself, based on a
possibly adapted upstream source package.

Definitely, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Don't apologize. You made that as clear as could be. That is entirely my
stupidity.

<SNIP>

--
Suffering is the prerogative of the strong, the weak -- perish.
Albert van der Horst