Re: ethercodes.dat / oui.txt (Was: Re: arpwatch & systemd)

Hi Christian,

thanks for suggesting the file based triggers, hadn't thought of that.
Combining that with the hook into update-ieee-data should indeed works
fine and is much better than doing stuff on service startup.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:06:47 +0200
Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
> On 03/27/2017 12:24 AM, Lukas Schwaighofer wrote:
> > The easiest way for me to check if the converted database is
> > up-to-date is to depend on the existence
> > of /var/lib/ieee-data/.lastupdate . Is that ok?
>
> As far as I understand it, yes.
>
> That said: what do you consider outdated? I've never checked how
> often the OUI database changes, but as far as I can tell the
> updates happen as needed, not according to a specific schedule.
> That means that if nobody requested an update, the database is
> not out of date, even if it's old.
>
> What you could do is check the .lastupdate file only if a lookup
> fails - and if it's older than a week, display a message. But
> that would require direct patching of arpwatch, so the much
> simpler solution could be to just add an entry to README.Debian
> that tells the user to run update-ieee-data if they want to
> have an updated database. Currently the database isn't udpated at
> all, so this is already going to be an improvement.

I should have been more explicit in my question. My idea was to
copy /var/lib/ieee-data/.lastupdate into /var/lib/arpwatch/.lastupdate
so I can use `cmp` to see if I need to update.

However that would have only been necessary when creating the database
during init. Since, with your help, I was able to implement this more
elegantly, this is no longer relevant.

Regards
Lukas