ethercodes.dat / oui.txt (Was: Re: arpwatch & systemd)

Hi,

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017
22:30:39 +0200 Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:

> On 03/26/2017 09:19 PM, Lukas Schwaighofer wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand what you mean… should the ethercodes.dat
> > file be removed / used from a different package?
>
> Yes. See also:
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/source-contains-data-from-ieee-data-oui-db.html
>
> ieee-data also contains a script that allows the admin to
> update the listing manually, and other packages can hook into
> that update process if that's required.

thanks for clarifying.

I need to convert the oui.txt database to a different format (the script
to do that is already available). Two options come to my mind:

1. use the maintainer scripts (postinst?) to generate the initial
   version of the converted database, add a hook for ieee-data to keep
   it updated
2. check if the database is up to date when the arpwatch service is
   started by the init system, update it otherwise

Option 1 seems somewhat cleaner, but if I understand the mechanisms
correctly, this will only trigger when the admin (or a cron job) calls
`update-ieee-data`, and not if the ieee-data package gets updated.

Since that would allow the converted database to become outdated, that
leaves me with option 2.  Is that acceptable or is there a better way
to do it?

The easiest way for me to check if the converted database is up-to-date
is to depend on the existence of /var/lib/ieee-data/.lastupdate . Is
that ok?

> Repacking the source seems excessive to me though, since the
> database is under a DFSG-compatible license (ieee-data is in
> main), but the binary package should probably just depend on
> ieee-data. (Or recommend it, if it can live with the file not
> being available.)

Ok, thanks.

Regards
Lukas