Re: a few questions on ITP shadowsocks-libev before formal RFS

* Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com>, 2016-05-18, 02:14:
I'm doing ITP packaging on shadowsocks-libev. I have a few questions in detail.

I have set up a git repo on github: https://github.com/rogers0/shadowsocks-libev
My current changes are pushed to branch: RFC

Package builds fine with command: gbp buildpackage -us -uc --git-ignore-branch

Some questions/issues that I'm not sure:
- Upstream maintained debian/ folder long before, I'm going to keep the original debian/changelog. So I should also keep the upstream as maintainer, and add myself as the uploader?

It doesn't matter who maintained the package in the package. What matters is who is going to maintain it now for Debian. Did you ask upstream to co-maintain it with you? You certainly shouldn't put anyone to Maintainer/Uploaders without their consent.

- The package is mainly GPLv3, but it links to OpenSSL library, is that OK?

GPL+OpenSSL is no-no.

README says that mbedtls, which is GPL-compatible, can be used as an alternative to OpenSSL, so you should try it.

- Upstream repo includes library source code of libev, libsodium, libudns. Is it OK to keep as it is, or have to remove and make another source tarball?

As long as they are DFSG-free, you can keep them in the source package. Just make sure they are not used at build time. This is best achieved by "rm -rf"ing them early in the build process. (If you're using dh, then beginning of override_dh_auto_build is probably the best place.)

- The answer of above question may affect: whether I should remove copyright of library libev, libsodium, libudns from debian/copyright?

If you keep them in .orig.tar, then you must also keep them in debian/copyright.

If you remove them from .orig.tar, then remove them from debian/copyright too.

- Is it needed to add "dh_autoreconf" in debian/rules?

It's not required by policy, but many sponsors will (rightfully!) insist to regenerate autotools stuff from source.

- I have no idea on the following lintian error, because postrm/postinst scripts are generated by dh

====
E: shadowsocks-libev: postrm-contains-additional-updaterc.d-calls etc/init.d/shadowsocks-libev-local

This seems to be caused by passing --no-start to dh_installinit:

	dh_installinit --no-start --name=shadowsocks-libev-server@
	dh_installinit --no-start --name=shadowsocks-libev-tunnel@
	dh_installinit --no-start --name=shadowsocks-libev-redir@
	dh_installinit --no-start --name=shadowsocks-libev-local@

My initsystem-fu is too weak to tell whether it's a d/rules bug, debhelper bug, or Lintian bug, or just something that should be overridden.

--
Jakub Wilk