Re: debian/control: Multi-Arch: no

* Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org>, 2016-02-11, 16:24:
libcdk5-dev was rejected by ftp-masters because it has 'Multi-Arch: no' on debian/control.
You could just omit the field, no need to use the explicit "no".
While this is correct, I don't see what should be wrong with explicitly stating the default. It could have the meaning of: the package was looked at for multi-archification but it was deemed that it is either not possible or that there is no need to make it multi-arch aware, so setting the value explicitly.

From what I've seen of -devel and -mentors, explicit "Multi-Arch: no" most often means "the maintainer was tricked by Lintian into thinking it'd make a difference". :>

"Multi-Arch: no support in Debian is broken (#768353)"

The bug is closed in 2014, though.

I do not understand why this bug was cited as the reason for the package not being allowed in Debian. If the messages in the bugs are right, then this dose3-related problem was fixed with version 3.2.2-3 and Jessie has version 3.3~beta1-3.

This code was added to dak back when dose was broken:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/mirror/dak.git/commit/?id=631dedeb2575

People who believe there's any value in explicit "Multi-Arch: no" (i.e., not me) are free to poke ftp-masters to undo this change.

--
Jakub Wilk