Re: Packaging an apparently unreleased Git repository

Gert,

On 28 January 2016 at 15:49, Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tiago,
>
> Since git is a distributed VCS, a given date might not be sufficient to
> get the exact version, because some developer might edit the source off
> -line, and push changes on a later date to the remote repo, but the
> commits will carry the date when developer committed the changes to her
> local repo.
>
> Therefore, adding the commit sha is the only way to be sure that you
> correctly reference the source tree used to create a package. And
> adding a "git" somewhere in the version string makes sure that one
> knows how to interpret the version string properly :)

You're completely right. I've not considered the "late push" use case,
which can happen even in a perfect-linear-and-rebased tree, resulting
in "newer" (at least appearing to be most recent in the tree) commits
with older dates.

Thanks,
Tiago.

--