Re: Packaging an apparently unreleased Git repository

Jan,

On 28 January 2016 at 06:46, Jan Dittberner <jandd@debian.org> wrote:
> Otherwise you should not just name the package 0.2.0-x but make sure that
> you include the git commit id like:
>
> 0.2.0~git20160116.1.fa5b38f-1
>
> This version will sort before a real 0.2.0 version:
>
> (...)
>
> This will allow you to properly package later upstream version when new
> commits occur. I came up with this suggestion after I had a look at the
> versions of packages installed on my system:

Although you did suggested a pretty detailed version string, this is
really needed at all? The Debian New Maintainers' Guide states[1]
that:

"... If you need to invent a version string, use the YYYYMMDD format
such as 20110429 as upstream version. This ensures that dpkg
interprets later versions correctly as upgrades. If you need to ensure
smooth transition to the normal version scheme such as 0.1 in future,
use the 0~YYMMDD format such as 0~110429 as upstream version,
instead."

This approach is simpler, work as intended and is documented on one of
our official guidelines for packaging.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html#namever