Re: Questions before my first upload attempt

Hi,

Danny Edel wrote:
> The main advantage of [sbuild] is the "...and throw everything away to get a
> clean starting point", so you have a reproducible and minimal build
> environment.

Yep. Cleaner and thus more sensible to changes in environment.

As said, i deem the source very portable and thus fewly vulnerable
to environmental changes. Other projects would scream first.

But i cannot be so sure with the Debian aspects of the package.
Especially since my understanding is mostly heuristic. (Like
i began to operate the autotools files when i took over libburn.)

A related advantage of the sbuild concept is that the user
is not exposed to the ever changing desktop weirdness.

> Have backups.)

Wanting to have backups caused my mail address and my endeavor
into ISO 9660 and optical burning.

> "pbuilder". As an alternative to dput{,-ng}, there is also dupload.

This puts up a nice space of combinations.

> I wouldn't say there's a definitive better one, but having more than one
> tool for the same problem might turn in handy if one has a bug and/or
> breaks.

It would be a bit easier for new tools if not the wikis
would only talk about the old ones. Like about mkisofs and
cdrecord, rather than xorriso.

But for new users it is beneficial to have a more narrow guidance.

> Take a look at "man devscripts"

The offspring of a long evolution, as it looks.

Christian Kastner wrote:
> The reason I posted the qemu-based approach was that it was, at first
> sight, not as complex as the sbuild approach, seeing as it only required
> one command.

Funny thing is that i would have followed your proposals
if each had not come just after i managed to find some
solution myself.

The docs cannot be too bad, after all. Half of my
helpful Google hits were inside Debian.
Its terminology could need some standardization and care
towards offering the right keywords for web search.

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers :
dput wants to be configured.
Tonight.

I hope nobody minds that i did not yet try to solve
any old shortcommings of the ./debian files in the
orphaned packages.
Just give me instructions.

Thanks again for the answers and proposals.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas