Re: Questions before my first upload attempt

On 2015-08-21 13:15, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> I already began installing yesterday evening.
> It is instructive, but i would have preferred to postpone
> the qemu adventures until i explore passthrough of DVD drives.

Yes, that makes sense.

> How about publicly available accounts on a sid machine,
> where programmers like me can test building of their packages ?

Well, we have them. They are called "porter boxes", and they exist for
many architectures. However, it is sometimes not easy to get access to
these as a non-DD.

Regardless: if you want to do Debian development, having a sid
environment really is unavoidable, even if it might be a hassle.

>   Now i have:
>     # uname -a
>     Linux ts6-sid 4.1.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.1.3-1 (2015-08-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>   Cannot really tell whether this is sid. I did my best, at least.
>   /etc/apt/sources.list currently has these two active lines
>
>     deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>     deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>
>   Anything more to add there ?

No, looks good!

>> By the way, in that case, you should retitle the respective bug reports
>> from O for "orphaned" to ITA for "intent to adopt".
>
> How to do this ?
> (I see few risk that anybody would take care of the packages
>  in the next days.)

The Debian BTS is manipulated via email. You can see an example for
changing from O to ITA here [1]. I then suggest you read [2] to
understand what exactly is happening, and finally [3] as a general
overview of the BTS.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=553654#15
[2] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
[3] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer

> Do i get it right that i should do
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
> every time before i begin to package something ?

Your build environment should be recent. This doesn't mean that you have
 to update before every build, but I'd update it at least daily.

Ideally, your final build should be against an up-to-date sid environment.

Regards,
Christian