Re: Introduce wrapper package of linuxbrew into Debian

Hi Gianfranco Costamagna,

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 11:53 +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> General Note: I don't think I'll sponsor this package without a discussion on debian-devel mail list,
>
> because I do not honestly think we need another package management, specially because
> mixing stuff might lead to libraries incompatibilities, and something more.

Well... not going to bring trouble to apt/dpkg.

Since linuxbrew is by default a home-based pacakge management tool,
it is useful e.g when a group of people are working on the same
amd64 workstation and some of them have no root/sudo access.
In that circumstance, one can conveniently run brew install
to install package they want without bothering root/admin much,
as long as brew has that corresponding formula.

So I think utilizing linuxbrew is just a matter what user do
at his ${HOME}, and will not affect the system wide package management,
After all the changes linuxbrew made is just in the `${HOME}/.linuxbrew` .

> Do you install something in non-standard directories so there is no need of looking at this?
> (note: I used too few times homebrew to know it)
> (I guess you install on HOMEBREW_PREFIX and ~/.linuxbrew if I read correctly the code)

No, no installation into non-standard directory.
FYI this is the current dpkg -L linuxbrew-wrapper:

/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/linuxbrew
/usr/lib/linuxbrew/install
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/linuxbrew
/usr/share
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/linuxbrew-wrapper
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/linuxbrew-wrapper
/usr/share/doc/linuxbrew-wrapper/copyright
/usr/share/doc/linuxbrew-wrapper/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/linuxbrew-wrapper/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/bin/brew -> /usr/bin/linuxbrew

Where the /usr/bin/linuxbrew is exactly the wrapper script,
it
 1. run the real linuxbrew if linuxbrew is already at user's home.
 2. run the upstream install script if user invoked 'brew' and
    then the wrapper script found no existing linuxbrew.

By default the HOMEBREW_PREFIX is pointed to ${HOME}/.linuxbrew
however I think I should provide a way to override it.

> BTW, you should also try to patch cmake to look at the new directories, at least when it
> isn't run in a buildd system.

Sorry that I'm not following you here:
there is no cmake files both in the original linuxbrew git repo
and the wrappe package.

Do you mean "adding cmake files in the package" ?

> anyway, let's review:
> 1) d/changelog:
> UNRELEASED is not an acceptable pocket distribution.

I will do dch -r when confirmed that this package is really ready
to be uploaded.

[...]
> 3) please add a manpage (help2man might help as a starting point)

Yes, indeed I should provide a manpage for /usr/bin/linuxbrew
and merly override the lintian-missing-manpage of symlink /usr/bin/brew.

> 4) add a real watch file or remove it completely

I'm going to remove it.

> 5) copyright: I do not like GPL-3.0+, maybe 2.0+ might be better, and usually it is considered
> a good copyright the one that is the same as upstream, because otherwise you might not be able
> to forward Debian patches upstream (like in this case, GPL-3+ means you can't redistribute
> as BSD-2-clause without an explicit written permission, even if I didn't check right now
> the above, and IANAL)
[...]

Thank you Gianfranco Costamagna for reviewing this package!
:-)

--
 .''`.                                               Lumin
: :' :