Re: Dropping debian/ directory vs Continuous Integration / daily-debs

 ❦  5 août 2015 13:50 +0200, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> :

>>>https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What.27s_wrong_with_upstream_shipping_a_debian.2F_directory.3F
>> The arguments all rely on .diff.gz which is not used anymore with
>> 3.0 formats. I think the whole entry should be removed as there is
>> now little interest to try to enforce this rule. On the other hand,
>> such a "rule" makes us appear as too strict for some upstreams.
>
> One problem with having debian/ in upstream tarballs, is that it's
> tempting for upstream to put vital files there. For example, debian/
> might be the only place where upstream changelog is kept, or the only
> place where the license is declared. Then dpkg-source would remove
> these vital files on unpack. :-(

You are right. But I think this is quite an unusual situation, isn't it?
--
This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a
little ironic since we may not have one.