Re: Source tarball update/fix

Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> writes:

> On Monday, December 28 2015, Ben Finney wrote:
> > If you want a suffix indicating “later than 0.5.11”, a conventional
> > separator to use is “+”. So, “0.5.11+ds1”.
>
> I was afraid you were going to say that...
>
> My first attempt was to use '+ds1' instead of '~ds1', but unfortunately
> Midori's build system/cmake (I still don't know which one) has a problem
> with that.  I cannot perform a successful build if there is a '+' in the
> source directory name.

That is IMO a flaw in the build system, then. Are you able to fix it?

Generally, I would think the build system should not care at all about
what directory it finds itself in; all operations on the code base
should be relative to the top directory, so the name of that directory
should never make any difference.

Is there some special reason why the build system needs to care about
the name of the directory containing the code base? If not, remove that
limitation and submit it as a patch upstream; and, meanwhile, apply it
as a patch to the Debian source package.

> Since I can't use '~', I guess another solution would be to use '+',
> but to rename the source directory before the build starts. This would
> fix the build problem. What do you think?

I think that would just be more confusing, and does not fix the problem.

--
 \       “If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; |
  `\     but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” —Donald |