Re: Upstream using git submodules

On 03/12/15 12:22, Diego M. Rodriguez wrote:
The pristine tarball must include the content of the submodules for the
builders to be able to build your source package. All the builders need to
build a package is a source tarball, a debian tarball and a .dsc.

Again, thanks for the clarification and your patience. Hopefully this
conversation and info will help me proceed with the next steps in packaging
while keeping the number of mistakes to a sane and manageable minimum!

Speaking of potential mistakes, here are a few things that bited me whilst working on the packaging of ArrayFire:

- Be sure that you don't need to repack / strip some of the content of the source tree due to some DFSG-related reason (copyright, embedded library...). For that, the licensecheck tool comes very handy.

I found out that using upstream git with submodules + a repack step is not worth the trouble. For ArrayFire, the introduction of non-free code happened after the initial upload. If I had known sooner however, I would have used the standard approach.

- Be extremely careful when merging new tags in the packaging branch. Mis-handling of the submodules can happen very fast and lead to a broken pristine tarball.

Do really check that the diff between your debian branch and the upstream tag only shows the debian folder and not a difference between the commit-ids of the submodules. In case mis-hap, I would advise to start fresh with the merging of the upstream tag, sort the submodules and rebase any subsequent work onto that.

Don't hesitate to submit any other questions you might have during your packaging work.

Ghis