Upstream using git submodules

Dear Mentors,

as part of my first formal attempt to package some software into Debian [1], I
have stumbled upon an issue that I could not find the recommend way to solve,
and I'd really welcome any input or guidance.

The upstream package is hosted on GitHub [2], providing releases both there and
on pip [3]. However, two (arguably) optional components of the package (an
implementation in C of the algorithms used by the package, and some .csv files
used for unit tests) are included as git submodules on the main git repository,
and not present on the tarballs (cjellyfish/ and testdata/ are empty).

While the package does work without those components (setup.py falls back to
using the Python implementation of the algorithms, and tests.py includes tests
cases that do not depend on the .csv files), I'm wondering what should be done
about the issue: is there a way to append them gracefully to the Debian
package, or would it be preferred to leave them out entirely in order to
reflect the official upstream tarball status? Just in case, I have contacted
upstream and both submodules repositories would have the same license and
copyright as the main repository.

Also, please note that while the package currently uploaded to mentors does
not have VCS control fields yet, I plan to use git-dpm as recommended by the
Debian Python Modules Team Policy [4] (I'm still reading the documentation and
making some local tests, hopefully it is my last roadblock before issuing a
formal sponsoring request to initiate code review). I'm mentioning it as it
might just be a matter of using the "--recursive" flag while cloning somewhere
along the process.

Best regards, and thanks in advance,

[1] https://mentors.debian.net/package/python-jellyfish
[2] https://github.com/jamesturk/jellyfish
[3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/jellyfish
[4] http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/policy.html

--
Diego M. Rodriguez
36B3 42A9 9F2F 2CFB F79B  FF9B B6C4 B901 06BC E232