Re: Copyright of composite Makefile.in files

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:

> I am not a mentor, the following is just my opinions:

I'm afraid that if you answer a question on debian-mentors, you're a
mentor by definition. :)

> I don't know how Makefile.in is being handled in particular, but I
> think in general, if one file has more than one copyright notice, then
> we should use `and` to connect compatible licenses and add all authors
> (or organizations) as copyright-holders.
>
> So, in this case I would suggest the following:
>
> Files: */Makefile.in
> Copyright: 1994-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>                2004 Oren Ben-Kiki
> License: FSF-unlimited
>
> Of course, one should always follow
> <https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/>
> if possible.

It says: "The Copyright field collects all relevant copyright notices
for the files of this paragraph. Not all copyright notices may apply to
every individual file, and years of publication for one copyright holder
may be gathered together."  So your suggestion really fits this mixed
situation.  But I should probably also add the upstream copyright and
license, which do not appear explicitly in the Makefile.am files.
--
Thanks,
Feri.