Re: .symbols or shlibs file

> * Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto <hpfn@ig.com.br>, 2015-11-29, 16:12:
> >I removed the 'override_dh_makeshlibs' and now 'dpkg-gensymbols' is
> >warning that:
>
> I certainly didn't advocate removing this override.

A little rush of mine.

> The override passed -X options to dh_makeshlibs. They are needed to
> prevent debhelper from treating private libraries like if they were
> shared libraries (see bug #205142).

Ok.

> >dpkg-gensymbols: warning: new libraries appeared in the symbols file:
> >
> >dpkg-gensymbols: warning: debian/libgphoto2-6/DEBIAN/symbols
> >                 doesn't match completely debian/libgphoto2-6.symbols
> >
> >dpkg-gensymbols: warning: debian/libgphoto2-port12/DEBIAN/symbols
> >                 doesn't match completely debian/libgphoto2-port12.symbols
> >
> >How 'new libraries', 'doesn't match completely'?
>
> Now that the -X options are gone, dh_makeshlibs tries to generate
> symbols for the private libraries, but they are not in debian/*.symbols,
> hence the warnings.

Thanks to clarify that.

> >I made new files for this version. 2 commands as it is on the wiki.
>
> Which wiki page do you have in mind?

https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

The 2.5.9-2 seems to be ok (on sid). This chat would
result in 2.5.9-3.

[from previous email]
> That said, I wonder if there's any point in passing -V to dh_makeshlibs
> if the package uses symbols. It doesn't seem useful.

The option started to be used in version 2.4.1-1 (2008),
I believe. From debian/changelog:

* New upstream release (Closes: #480127):
     - Not bumping shlibs, no new symbol.
     - To achieve this, use two dh_makeshlibs calls (one for
       libgphoto2-port0 and one for libgphoto2-$(major), and provide with
       the last upstream version sharing the same ABI. Using 2.4.0 here
       although some former versions might have been specified. That
       shouldn't make any difference from a testing migration point of
       view.

Do you know when the .symbols file started to be in use ?

I did a build without the '-V' option. I don't see errors
messages.

My objective is to do a clean on the package control files
(e.g. it had maintainer scripts doing nothing for some years).

regards,
--
Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto (hpfn)