Re: Should VCS fields refer to the packaging source or upstream source?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 02:39:21PM +1100, Riley Baird wrote:

your other points appear to be correct, I will work on it.

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:42:36 -0500
> Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:
> > Please criticize the package I have been working on
> > https://github.com/pelliott80/simplescreenrecorder-dpm.git
> > in a git repo in dpm format.
>
> -Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser refer to the VCS of the Debian packaging, not
> of upstream development

    Debian Policy Manual
    Chapter 5 - Control files and their fields
    5.6.26 Version Control System (VCS) fields
    https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-VCS-fields

    clearly states:

     Debian source packages are increasingly developed using VCSs. The
     purpose of the following fields is to indicate a publicly accessible
     repository where the Debian source package is developed.

I interpreted "repository where the Debian source package is developed"
to mean that the VCS fields should point to the packaging source,
not the upstream source.

Experenced package maintainers please comment.

Am I wrong?

> -Is there any reason that you are limited to i386 and amd64?
The upstream did that, perhaps he had a good reason I will check.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J