Re: best way to fork data only package on Alioth?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Paul Elliott wrote:

> The new package contains data most people won't want. It is big. 69M
> But those who need this data, need it. By creating a different package,
> I give the majority the default of opting out, while giving the few
> the chance to get the data they need. The new package contains
> ephermis extrapolated data for far past, and far future dates.
>
> Researchers can use this data for astronomical historic research
> like determining the date of the Mahabarata war.
>
> I had already decided on the new package. I was asking about the best
> way to technical way to execute the fork.
>
> The Old package is swe-standard-data, new will be swe-extrapolated-data.
> (Now in progress).

Could you explain how these two data sets relate to each other?

Is swe-standard-data a strict subset of swe-extrapolated-data? If so I
would say make swe-extrapolated-data depend on swe-standard-data.

Or are the two packages have some data in common and some unique data
in each of them? If so I would split the data up into three sets,
swe-core-data/swe-standard-data/swe-extrapolated-data.

In terms of git repositories, I would only put the debian/ dirs in git.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise