Re: best way to fork data only package on Alioth?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:55:29PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Paul Elliott wrote:
>
> > The new package contains data most people won't want. It is big. 69M
> > But those who need this data, need it. By creating a different package,
> > I give the majority the default of opting out, while giving the few
> > the chance to get the data they need. The new package contains
> > ephermis extrapolated data for far past, and far future dates.
> >
> > Researchers can use this data for astronomical historic research
> > like determining the date of the Mahabarata war.
> >
> > I had already decided on the new package. I was asking about the best
> > way to technical way to execute the fork.
> >
> > The Old package is swe-standard-data, new will be swe-extrapolated-data.
> > (Now in progress).
>
> Could you explain how these two data sets relate to each other?
>
> Is swe-standard-data a strict subset of swe-extrapolated-data? If so I
> would say make swe-extrapolated-data depend on swe-standard-data.
>
> Or are the two packages have some data in common and some unique data
> in each of them? If so I would split the data up into three sets,
> swe-core-data/swe-standard-data/swe-extrapolated-data.

The data is in the same format and used by libraries linked to
libswe0. The two sets of data are disjoint. The data one would want
depends on the time one is studying.

A researcher reasoning about the putitive 5561BC date of the
Mahabarata war might want only swe-extrapolated-data. An astrologer
doing horiscopes for modern clients would want only swe-standard-data.

From the README file:

   The swe-extrapolated-data package contains only data files for the
   periods: 11 Aug 13000 BC to 5402 BC and 5400 AD to 7 Jan 16800 AD
   such data is not usually needed by people not doing extraordinary
   research.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J