Re: Seeking help with submission of package

Hi Dave,

NB: I'm not a DD, so cannot sponsor your package but I'll shall do my
best to give it a good review.

It would be great if you could file an RFS bug to track the sponsorship
of this package (https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/rfs-howto)

On 10/01/15 12:24, Dave Maiorino wrote:
> Hello Debian Mentors,
>
> I apologize for the wide email, but I was looking for help with getting
> my package submitted into the Debian repo.

You've come to the right place!

> https://mentors.debian.net/package/tz-converter
>
> Last year, I have received great help with correcting this package and
> making it ready for building. I am wondering if there is anything else I
> can do to help get this application submitted. The code is quite simple,
> using Python3 and PySide to provide a GUI for time zone conversation.
>
> If there is anything else I can help provide, please let me know. Thank
> you!

Well here goes...

Checking on pypi[1], I can see you have a version 1.0.3 there but your
Github repository contains only version 1.0.0? Which is correct/latest?

Also using a source tarball generated by setuptools (python3 setup.py
sdist), will ensure the tarball doesn't contain any cruft eg:
  - .git/
  - .idea/ (I'd advise removing this from Git entirely as it creates
enormous diffs, add it to your .gitignore)
  - .pc/

Currently the md5sum of the orig.tar.gz doesn't match the version 1.0.0
tarball from GitHub either. The source tarball uploaded to Debian should
be byte identical to the upstream source.

5acf31423683a9491c96fbf472e3e965  tz-converter_1.0.0.orig.tar.gz
c498a0d95301c8201b760751e0c420d0  tz-converter-tz-converter-1.0.0.tar.gz

debian/changelog:
  - As this is the first release in Debian the version should
$UPSTREAM_VERSION-1 (e.g 1.0.0-1)
  - The initial changelog for Debian should then contain just one entry
for the initial version stating:

        * Initial release (closes: #754287)

  - For the regular upload to Debian the package should always target
unstable (generally) as opposed to stable.

debian/control:
  - You have a dependency on python-dateutil, I think that should be
python3-dateutil
  - Drop the depends on python3, this will be automatically added by the
${python3:Depends} variable
  - Long description has a spelling error: taked -> taken

debian/copyright:
  - Missing the Copyright header:

> Format: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
> Upstream-Name: tz-converter
> Source: YOUR_SOURCE_URL

debian/install:
  - Use dh_installman to install the manpage

debian/py3dist-overrides:
  - You can drop this file

debian/rules:
  - Remove pointless comments
  - Remove override_dh_auto_configure ???
  - Remove override_dh_python3 ???
  - Remove the clean target

debian/watch:
  - Depending on my first comment, you may like to use pypi in the watch
file. This will also allow you to PGP sign the releases, which can then
be verified in the Debian package

As you are also upstream, you can easily fix the Lintian
no-upstream-changelog tag, by simply writing a CHANGELOG and placing it
in the source package.

Distutils also spits out a warning during the build process

> running install_egg_info
> Writing debian/tz-converter/usr/share/tz-converter/tz_converter-1.0.0.egg-info
> /usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/dist.py:260: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'install_requires'
>   warnings.warn(msg)

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to
help you out.

Regards,

Daniel Lintott

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tz-converter