git-p4 package in contrib, how to proceed?

Hi!

I'm trying to create a package for 'git-p4', a python script which mirrors between git and Perforce (the latter is a proprietary version control system). I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this.

The source code lives in the upstream git repository, but isn't packaged with the regular 'git' package because of the proprietary nature of Perforce. I thought I'd try to create a separate package that could go into contrib instead.

I've created a bug report with a patch for the git package to implement this (773245) which Jonathan Nieder was kind enough to look at, but I'm struggling to understand what I should do next!

Is it going to be possible to get the regular git package to generate a secondary package in contrib? Or would I be better off with a new standalone package?

Thanks!
Luke