Re: Depends on exact version

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 02:39:15PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Daniel Lintott <daniel@serverb.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have a package which is split into two sources (a server and gui). The
> > server version should match the gui version (upstream version) at all times.
>
> > Because of this when I'm creating the meta-package that will depend on
> > both the gui and server, should be versioned to to be the same upstream
> > version.
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> can you add a little bit more info? Are server and GUI running
> on the same machine? If they are, there is no need for the
> metapackage, the GUI package can simply depend on the server. OTOH if
> they can run (and usualy do run) on different machines a meta-package
> that syncs server and gui on a single machine would not help.

The server and GUI *can* be run on the same machine (and most users probably
will), but there is also the a high possibility that a user will want to run
the server seperately from the GUI (maybe even running the GUI on Windows/Mac).

The metapackage is needed to provide an upgrade route from the GNS3 0.8.x [1] to the
new GNS3 1.x which is split into a gui/server. Obviouosly it's preferred for existing
users of GNS3 to upgrade to the new version, as the old version (what will become
gns3-legacy) is no longer in active development. But upstream (whom I'm involved with)
are well aware that a user may wish to continure using the older version for, which is
largely bug free (O bugs on Debain Bug Tracker).

Hope that explains it!

Regards

Daniel

[1] http://tracker.debian.org/gns3