Re: Making "entry-point" nee "gift" a real BTS tag [Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers]

Le jeudi 13 novembre 2014 à 11:51:51, Christian Kastner a écrit :
> On 2014-11-13 09:42, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >
> > I don't think we should include the initial part about "maintainer can
> > easily solve...", as it does seems a bit patronizing ("that's easy for
> > me, but I won't do it because..."). My take: just include the part about
> > being a good entry point (hence the name) for new contributors and scrap
> > the rest.
>
> Perhaps the choice of words could be improved, but I always understood
> the "easy" part as "this issue has a more or less clear solution" (and
> it's just a question of who will put resources into it), as opposed to
> an RFH bug, for which a solution is beyond the capabilities of the
> maintainer. Mentees might find this distinction helpful -- tasks can be
> less intimidating when a correct solution is known.
>
> What do you think of the following?

I'm sorry my English is poor and I can hardly do better. I wanted to
summarize the main ideas of the second paragraph on page [1] which I
find very good. The maintainer should know the first glance by reading
the description if it can offer the bug without having to read another
page. Another formulation:

entry-point
     This bug has a known solution but the maintainer thinks it is
     an ideal task for new contributors who wish to get involved in
     Debian, or who wish to improve their skills. This gateway is a
     complement more accessible to mentors.debian.net.

     The maintainer is committed to providing assistance to new
     contributors and been able to upload an updated package in a
     timely manner. Bugs of any difficulty can be offered.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag

--
Stéphane Aulery