Re: Making "entry-point" nee "gift" a real BTS tag [Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers]

On 2014-11-13 09:42, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 07:42:33PM +0100, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
>> entry-point
>>     The maintainer can easily solve this bug by himself, but he
>>     wants to take it to new contributors who wish to get involved
>>     in Debian. Bugs of any difficulty can be offered in order to
>>     attract and increase skill.
>
> I don't think we should include the initial part about "maintainer can
> easily solve...", as it does seems a bit patronizing ("that's easy for
> me, but I won't do it because..."). My take: just include the part about
> being a good entry point (hence the name) for new contributors and scrap
> the rest.

Perhaps the choice of words could be improved, but I always understood
the "easy" part as "this issue has a more or less clear solution" (and
it's just a question of who will put resources into it), as opposed to
an RFH bug, for which a solution is beyond the capabilities of the
maintainer. Mentees might find this distinction helpful -- tasks can be
less intimidating when a correct solution is known.

What do you think of the following?

entry-point
-    The maintainer can easily solve this bug by himself, but he
-    wants to take it to new contributors who wish to get involved
-    in Debian. Bugs of any difficulty can be offered in order to
-    attract and increase skill.
+    This bug has a known solution but the maintainer requests
+    someone else implement it. This is an ideal task for new
+    contributors who wish to get involved in Debian, or who
+    wish to improve their skills.

    The maintainer is committed to providing assistance to new
    contributors. This gateway is a complement more accessible to
    mentors.debian.net.