Re: To fix error: binary file contents changed

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 07:54:22PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> >> My histring has this "binary file contents changed" error, how to fix
> >> it?
> >>
> >> Here is the build log:
> >>
> >>   dpkg-source: info: using options from histring-1.1.0/debian/source/
> >>    fakeroot debian/rules clean
> >>   dh clean
> >>      dh_testdir dh_auto_clean dh_clean
> >>    dpkg-source -b histring-1.1.0
> >>   dpkg-source: info: using options from histring-1.1.0/debian/source/
> >>   dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
> >>   dpkg-source: info: building histring using existing ./
> >> histring_1.1.0.orig.tar.gz
> >>   dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'config.status' will
> >>   not
> >> be represented in diff
> >>   dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to histring: binary file
> >> contents changed
> >>   dpkg-source: error: add histring in debian/source/include-binaries if
> >> you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
> >>   dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to histring.o: binary
> >>   file
> >> contents changed
> >>   dpkg-source: error: add histring.o in debian/source/include-binaries
> >>   if
> >> you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
> >>   dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
> >>
> >> I know that I can tweak the dh_clean rule to remove the generate .o and
> >> binary executable file, or tweak the 'debian/source/options', but I'm
> >> wondering if the true fix is somewhere else, like my .o and  binary
> >> executable files are generated to the wrong place, for e.g.
> >
> > No, your problem is in not removing the binary in clean.
>
> $ make -n clean
> test -z "histring" || rm -f histring
> rm -f *.o core *.core
>
> So the 'make clean' is doing its thing, at least seems to me. If any of
> the 'dh clean' or 'dh_clean' is calling 'make clean', the binaries would
> be removed clean.
>
> What goes wrong? How exactly should I fix it?
> Please help.
>
> The source is at https://github.com/suntong001/histring/
> it is *very* small.
This package can't be built. You need to make sure you provide working
examples when you ask for help, otherwise people will stop helping you
quickly.
Though if you are asking for problems involving an upstream tarball and
building a source package, you need to provide that tarball, not just
unpacked directory.

--
WBR, wRAR