Re: To fix error: binary file contents changed

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:10:10 +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 02:28:34AM +0000, T o n g wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My histring has this "binary file contents changed" error, how to fix
>> it?
>>
>> Here is the build log:
>>
>>   dpkg-source: info: using options from histring-1.1.0/debian/source/
>>    fakeroot debian/rules clean
>>   dh clean
>>      dh_testdir dh_auto_clean dh_clean
>>    dpkg-source -b histring-1.1.0
>>   dpkg-source: info: using options from histring-1.1.0/debian/source/
>>   dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
>>   dpkg-source: info: building histring using existing ./
>> histring_1.1.0.orig.tar.gz
>>   dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'config.status' will
>>   not
>> be represented in diff
>>   dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to histring: binary file
>> contents changed
>>   dpkg-source: error: add histring in debian/source/include-binaries if
>> you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
>>   dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to histring.o: binary
>>   file
>> contents changed
>>   dpkg-source: error: add histring.o in debian/source/include-binaries
>>   if
>> you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
>>   dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
>>
>> I know that I can tweak the dh_clean rule to remove the generate .o and
>> binary executable file, or tweak the 'debian/source/options', but I'm
>> wondering if the true fix is somewhere else, like my .o and  binary
>> executable files are generated to the wrong place, for e.g.
>
> No, your problem is in not removing the binary in clean.

$ make -n clean
test -z "histring" || rm -f histring
rm -f *.o core *.core

So the 'make clean' is doing its thing, at least seems to me. If any of
the 'dh clean' or 'dh_clean' is calling 'make clean', the binaries would
be removed clean.

What goes wrong? How exactly should I fix it?
Please help.

The source is at https://github.com/suntong001/histring/
it is *very* small.

THANKS!