Re: p7zip and YACReader

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Felix Kauselmann wrote:

> I'll try. YACReaders source code uses a bunch of code and header files from
> p7zip to build it's internal logic (wrapper, whatever) to access 7z.so and
> Rar29.so. 7z.so and Rar29.so are then loaded dynamically at runtime. As I
> wrote before, there are no official library headers for these .so files, so
> this approach is not as uncommon as one would think.

Interesting approach, it left me wondering why the normal command-line
interface wasn't good enough though.

You will note that Rar29.so is available in p7zip-rar, which is
non-free. It might be a good idea to use unar (not unrar) instead of
p7zip since it supports RAR files using DFSG-free code and also
supports 7z and other files. In case you need metadata about files in
an archive before extracting an archive, it has lsar -json, which
obviously outputs machine-readable metadata about the files in JSON
format.

http://unarchiver.c3.cx/commandline
https://packages.debian.org/sid/unar

> From a packagers perspective it's a bit problematic. While the pragmatic
> approach of repackaging the upstream tarball and adding the needed source
> files works, I'd rather not do that. It's sort of a case of convenience
> code, the code already exists in Debian and from a security point of view it
> would be good if the version of that code would match the version of p7zip
> present in Debian.

I'm glad to hear you don't want to add embedded code copies, it isn't
often that upstream developers have that opinion.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise